Week 27 - Personalising a t-shirt

This blog post is a recap of my 27th week in craft, which means we have officially passed the halfway point in the year!
 
I love Pinterest. I find so many inspiring images, and new ideas for craft projects. Recently I have looked at many images of personalising clothing. So this week I personalised two t-shirts, one for myself and one for my son. Today I will show you how I created my t-shirt, step by step.
 
1. Start with a t-shirt you want to personalise. 
I just unpicked something from the front of this top and it has a hole in it.
 
2. Use fabric chalk to draw an image you want.
I drew the heart freehand and used a ruler for the lines.
 
3. Sew a piece of fabric to the back.
I used bright pink thread and lime green fabric (which was re-used from an old top from my son)
 
4. This is the inside of the t-shirt. After sewing the fabric on to the back, trim the edges.
 
5. Sew along all the lines you drew with the fabric chalk.
6. Then carefully cut between all the sewed lines, without cutting the backing fabric.
 
This is a close up of the sewed lines and rough cuts between them.
 
7. Throw it in the washing machine to remove all the fabric chalk.
 
All the edges curl up in the washing machine to reveal the colour underneath. (The fabric underneath is lime green, it just looks lighter in this picture for some reason).
 
This was my first attempt at something like this, and the whole project took me about three hours from start to finish. Was a good way to fill in an evening (which is why the colours in the photos are a bit off, as it was dark outside), and I now have a new top out of it. I'm loving having this sewing machine unearthed from the back of the cupboard!

Comments

Popular Posts