Video Inspiration and Scrapping your Stash

Hello there!
 
One of my favourite activities to do in my downtime - a few spare minutes while cooking dinner, in the ads while watching an evening TV program, lying awake in the middle of the night, that kind of thing - is to browse for crafting inspiration. That includes visiting my favourite blogs, browsing Pinterest, and most recently watching tutorials on YouTube.
 
In this last week I have created a layout for the first time in a very long time (10 months to be exact - yip almost a whole year. Geesh I didn't realise it had been THAT long). Have you ever done something regularly for 10 ish years and then stopped, completely, for 10 months before trying to start where you left off? Most people could answer running to that question!!! (I don't recommend it - never stop!) It is difficult. I think that is where watching video tutorials has helped a great deal. I know I haven't forgotten how to do it - my head just thinks I have. I don't need a step by step video to be able to create a layout, I just like them to see what goes on behind the finished product - doing this here balances this here, adding this here instead of here creates better ... etc etc.
 
That's enough babble for now. You get it.
 
I took inspiration from this layout from Paige Evans. (Love her work. Have followed her for a few years now. Big Fan.)
 
This layout was done as a scrap your stash - flowers. I have a big selection of flower products that I cannot get rid of, yet haven't seemed to be able to find a use for. So creating a layout like this would use up a huge portion of that stash! (Wrong, it barely made a dent, but anyway...)
 
My process:
 
Get all your flower products out first. All types of different flowers. Then you know exactly what you've got and can be thinking about which ones you might like to use as you're going through the next steps.
 
  Draw a simple flower shape on the back of a piece of cardstock. Use pencil if you need multiple attempts like I did.
 
Then cut it out with a trusty pair of scissors. Don't cut in from the edge of your cardstock, cut from inside the flower/ shape.
Use a metal or electronic die if you have one to make these two steps that much simpler.
 
 
Use your newly cut shape as a stencil to roughly draw the shape onto another piece of cardstock so you know the area you need to fill.
 . 
 Then fill it up. Occasionally putting the cut piece on top so you know what it looks like and what needs changing or filling.
I also edged mine with strips of coordinating paper.
 
 The cut piece is adhered on top with foam dots, as are some of the flowers. Others are flat. Some are dimensional. I've got paper, felt, and glossy/ enamel elements too.
 
 Brads too. Not flower shaped but flower print.
 
 Some are big, others small. Some intricate, others plain. And in this format they all go together so well.
 
And the finished product:
 
 
 As I was making the layout I actually had no idea what photo I was going to use - which is completely backwards for me. I don't have an adorable daughter to scrap. Nor do I have a photo printer to print any picture I wanted at home (or a local printer in my new hometown). So I looked through my photo albums - knowing it needed to be a girl (with the complete flower layout and all), and that the picture/s needed to be small to fit on the edge of my layout - I'm not willing to cover up a whole bunch of embellishments that I could've added to another project. And this is what I found - a lovely pic of my mum and myself taken some years ago.
 
So thanks to Paige for the inspiration, and I hope you too feel inspired - to scrap your stash, scrap lift, or using only one shape on a project (and it doesn't have to be flowers). And if you're feeling like you're in a crafting rut don't only look at pictures, find some crafting videos to watch too.
 
Thanks for stopping by today,
Jessica T
 
I wonder how good I am at drawing dinosaurs ...

Comments

Popular Posts