The Packaging Technique

Hi everyone! So if you've been following me a wee while you'll know I've recently discovered the crafting YouTube channel Inkie Quill and that I love it. She has inspired me to try so many new things using supplies I already have. One such thing is creating an inkie background using 'the packaging technique'.
 
What you'll need:
~ some white or light cardstock,
~ something to cover it - gesso, modelling paste, etc (so the ink doesn't soak straight in to your paper - apparently Bazzil Marshmallow doesn't need coating first)
~ ink, spray mist or markers
~ water in a sprayer bottle
~ soft plastic packaging
 
 
What you do is after you have coated and dried your cardstock, you dab your ink pad or spray some mist onto the plastic packaging, then add some water, squish it together in your hands, flip the plastic over and spread it onto the page. Sound confusing? Watch this video for help (jump to 1:45min for the packaging technique bit).
 
You'll end up with something like this:
 
 
It has raw edges, it has variations in colour. This particular one is also very in your face - but most of it will get covered with the actual layout so it's ok.
 
And the layout:
 
 
I cut 1/4 inch off each side of the cardstock background to remove the rough edges and adhered it onto a piece of coloured paper. It is a colour I never thought I would use, but having a 1/4 inch border is cute.
 
 
I used the Kaisercraft Sweet Pea collection - 6x6 paper pad, 12x12 cut apart sheet and ephemera pack. And lots of foam dots.
 
 
I used some really old alphas that I have no idea what they are other than iridescent plastic, and they match the ink and the page so well. I also used a doily and some washi tape from my stash.
 
 
This was a totally new technique for me and I really liked it. It is nice and easy, and pretty quick. Next time I'll have to try it with another colour combo.
 
I hope you're inspired to give the packaging technique a try!
Jessica T

Comments

Popular Posts